Thursday, December 26, 2013

Progress on the Brake and Something New.

The last time I worked on the roller I put the front end on jack stands.  Today I noticed that the belt that drives the eccentric for vibration was tight when it should have not been.   It seems the front drum is set in rubber to help isolate the roller from the vibrations.  The rubber stretched.  I do not know how much damage this did.  The part with the rubber is 105 "Flex Mount with Bushing".  Between this and the snubers I wonder if this unit will ever vibrate again.  Live and learn.  Still looking at the diagram I do not understand how this could happen.  I was too focused on the brake today.  I need to investigate this further.


<missing image. see manual>

The key to reassembling the brake band setup with everything removed but the band (264) and rotate it so the ends of the band are at the bottom of the drum where they are exposed.  The add all the parts but the actuator rod from the pedal (274).   Then the band can be rotated into position and the rear (276), then front (282) supporting blocks attached.  Note that supporting block (276) goes between springs (277) and (278).  The end of the band goes below the bottom spring (277).  I put one shim each on the front and back support blocks.   The original shims are shown to be .062 inches in the manual.  These seem much thicker.
<missing image. see manual>

I still need to attach (273) and (272) and find a stronger spring to replace or supplement the spring return on the brake.  The locking lever (266) needs a spring too.   The existing brake return spring maybe strong enough to work on the locking lever.   

When the brake is finished  I can start putting the chain and its tensioners back on unless there is real damage to the front from jacking.  

The new chain has arrived from Amazon.  It was one of their scratch and dent items which they marked down to about 1/3 of the original price.  Like that :)  But the chain will not do much good until we order a chain breaker and some master links.

No comments:

Post a Comment