Saturday, December 28, 2013

Fears have been realized.

I managed to attach the brake rod yesterday.   The rod end goes through a hole in a lever attached to the brake band. This has always been difficult to put in and with everything else in place it became impossible.   The rod had a flat spot where it had been rubbing against a frame member.  I used the hydraulic press to put a bow in the rod which fixed the clearance problem.  The rod has been on and off the brake so often that I have tired of fishing cotter keys into place and bending them.  Removing them is even worse.  Instead I used a hitch pin clip.



The more I work on this the more I am convinced that the brake was not right to start with.

Unfortunately the sprockets on the drum does not line up with the rest.  I towed the roller from the shop across the street hoping that the drum might shift back to its correct position.  It did not.  I may have to remove the drum to sort it all out.


No comments:

Post a Comment