Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Inside the magneto.

I have been working on another project.   Of topic. maybe but it is my blog!

Getting my 1972 Chev C-50 truck running after 8 years of inactivity.  I replaced a few fuel lines and got the engine running.  Sounds good.  But there are no brakes.  I have a gallon of brake fluid, now all I need is ambition.



Now back to the roller.  The points from the spare AENLD were removed and clean in an ultra sonic cleaner.  The plan is to put them back in the magneto and see if we can get a spark from it on the bench.  If that works I will swap it with the magneto on the roller.



It was in the 20s (F) today so I brought the magneto into the house to work on it.  Assembled it and aligned the points under a magnifier.  Its alive!  Tosses a 1/2 inch spark and gave me a whooper of a jolt.   Next warm day is a ways off.

EDIT: "The breaker point gap of the Fairbanks-
Morse magneto and Wico magneto should have
an opening of .015 inch at full separation."

The roller is driven by a long roller chain which I had to remove because it had a few spots where links were rusted solid.  I ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner a few times.  The chain is cleaner but the rusted links are still stuck.  I think it is a #60 chain.  10 feet of it and a connector link from amazon is under $50.  The place is to order a new chain and avoid problems with the old one.

No comments:

Post a Comment